February 9, 2012

Trust in God for Your Peace


No one said this life would be easy. In fact, we’ve been told just how difficult it will be by Jesus himself. He told us “In this life, you will have trouble” (John 16:33 NIV), and if your world is anything like mine, trouble comes with a capital “T”.

If I am honest, though, I must admit that sometimes I make my own problems. Mostly this is when I try to take the helm and steer my own ship through troubled waters, instead of turning to the One who can help. When I try to forge ahead and make a situation work to my advantage, invariably it ends in ruin. I would be much better off if I remembered to trust in God and take all my troubles to Him.

I’m getting much better at this, and I have found this trust to be the true pathway to peace. But there was a time, in the not so distant past, when I grasped for straws when I felt I was drowning. I felt tossed about on the waves, gulping for breaths before being submerged again.

Instead of trusting God, I took it upon myself to try to find my own way. I think I put my trust in myself instead of God, and figured that I could make it work all on my own.


Imagine my surprise when I came across this passage in James, “But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.”  (James 1:6 NIV)  You see, I would ask Him for help, but then I would take it upon myself to find solutions. I thought I knew what would be best for me. Actually, I just didn’t know God well enough to trust Him with my life.

Though I still continue to make many mistakes, I feel that I have made positive changes in how I deal with stressful situations in my life. Each time a worry or problem comes my way, I have a choice. I can worry and stress, or take it to God and know peace. It takes practice, but it really is as simple as that.

As I develop my relationship with God in my daily life, through prayer and sharing my heart with Him, I am beginning to understand that knowing Him intimately is the pathway to peace. I’ve learned that there is a better way than internalizing my anger and harboring resentment. I can give it all to God, and in return I get peace. I can trust that He will work for the good in all things.

I’ve included the complete verses below for the Bible references made in this article. But I think one that sums what I am trying to say is a familiar quote from Proverbs. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5 (NLT)

When we give God the helm to steer, He will guide us to calmer waters; and He will put our feet back on solid ground.




“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28 (NIV)

“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.  But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.”  James 1:5-8 (NLT)
“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment