January 2, 2014

Here We Go Again!

The bitter chill of January in Wisconsin gives us plenty of time to hunker down and contemplate a plan of hibernation until springtime. It offers time, too, to reflect on the old and the new. 

While all of 2013 is memory now, we look forward into 2014 with its blank canvas and wonder, what will we paint?

Little nuances keep filtering my way that this is to be a year of discovery for me; that is, a discovery of who I am and what I am supposed to do with this one beautiful life. A book I have been gifted encourages me to "uncover the art you were made to live" (A Million Little Ways by Emily P. Freeman). Meditations I have discovered are leading me to figure out not who but 'what' I am. And scripture verses and devotions tell me I am made anew, with all the promise that only God can provide.


The thing is, I thought I already had it pretty well figured out. Funny, right? I write and I sing and these things bring me great joy and creative expression. I love my family with a mother's caring (and worrying) heart, and share in their joys as my sons find their way. I live and I love, and I share the best of me with those I am close to.

Don't get me wrong. By no means whatsoever do I feel I have it all figured out. I just kinda thought I was on the right pathway. And maybe I am, and my discoveries will lead me deeper into knowing who I am and what I should be doing. Perhaps I will be gifted with insight into the whys and hows of what my new direction in life will be.

Despite the fact that I always look for the best in a person or situation, and while I know that there is much pain and suffering in the world, I try to stay upbeat with a positive outlook. I seek to find truth, and celebrate justice, while struggling to comprehend what I feel in my heart is the ruination of humanity. While much beauty and love exist in this world, the painful truth is that violence is prevalent and I fear that mankind's inhumanity to humankind will be its undoing. 

Knowing the struggle that many have just to survive opens my heart to question why there is such disparity between the haves and the have-nots. And wondering, too, what one little person like me can do. 

I hope you don't mind my meanderings here. You see, I really am trying to discover what this life is all about. I think I've closed myself up within my own little world for so long, just taking care of my family and myself. I thought that was enough. My role was defined. And I lived it and loved it.

What is happening in my thoughts doesn't frighten me or worry me. I am open to the leading of the Spirit, and perhaps my willingness to embrace change will be the catalyst for my next discoveries. 

 

Whatever happens in the upcoming year, I pray for growth in my spirit, acceptance of my direction, and Divine guidance as I step boldly into what is my life.

I pray these things for all of you, too, that you might find your way as we all tread courageously into this bright, new year. Many blessings, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment