April 10, 2020

The Reality of Working from Home



Like many of you, it came upon me to assimilate into current culture and begin working from home. My new space was freshly cleaned and shiny, inviting hours of productivity.


On Monday morning, it was time to get to work! My new commute consisted of climbing the stairs carefully so as not to spill my coffee. I logged in and got settled in. Then, realizing I had a video conference call coming up, I ran downstairs and threw on my gray cardigan sweater and a scarf to match my top. I wanted to look presentable!

Navigating technology all day long was interesting as I accessed files from my desktop computer 12 miles away and Zoom’d with a co-worker from a whole state away. A real growth opportunity, to be sure!

My home office circa 201
when I was self-employed
The second day, expecting smooth sailing was my sinking ship. Navigating technology became challenging when programs refused to work together. I’ve never spent so much time trying to solve something that should have been a non-issue. Can anyone relate?

By the third day, I hadn’t even changed out of my jammies yet when 8:00 rolled around. At least I had time to throw on some clothes and pull my hair into a ponytail, because, you guessed it – video conferencing again. My boss kept asking why my video wasn’t on yet. I just kept saying because I haven’t turned it on yet! Finally, I turned on the video and hoped I didn’t look as bad as I thought I might. I did.

I had a free week prior to beginning my new schedule, and after a week away from work, I thought going back would feel less free. But today, after it’s all done, I feel incredibly free – delivered – IT’S THE WEEKEND! And we are celebrating hubby’s birthday, with family near and far, utilizing -- you got it – technology, to bring us all together in one room!


I think we need to keep finding the humor and the blessings in each day. That’s what I’m trying to do. Day by day. Try to get out into the sunshine when it shines. Celebrate life returning to the earth. Enjoy slowing down, just for a little while. Too soon we'll all be running around like crazy again. 

Wishing you peace and the best of health, my friends.







No comments:

Post a Comment