October 27, 2011

Song of Hope


Sometimes even when there are no words, there is a song. Many times throughout my life, when a friend would encounter a certain situation, a line from a song would come to mind and sometimes I would sing it out loud.  It caught people off guard but it also let them know that I really understood what they were feeling.

In this season of my life, I love contemporary Christian music. So much of what is written speaks of our human condition and how God is bigger than all of our problems. When we have lost hope, we need to come to Him. When we are weary, sad, lonely or brokenhearted we need to come to Him.

There is a song for every life situation we experience, and often a song will come on the Christian radio station right when I am in need of reassurance or encouragement. I realize I am not alone in this experience. Somehow the song of hope we need to hear is playing for us alone.

I learned the other day that the angels never sing. How can this be? Who hasn’t imagined the angels with their harps of gold singing in the heavens in perfect harmony?  In the Bible text I find that they shout praises, they worship and praise God, but nowhere does it say that they sing.

I always hoped to sing with the angels when I got to heaven. I think that would be awesome! They spend their days endlessly praising our Lord. “I can only imagine” how wonderful that would be.

On this earth, I experience my greatest joy when I sing for our Lord. Many people tell me they feel closer to God when they sing, as if a direct channel of communication opens up between them and God. You know He hears you and is pleased - even if you sing out of tune (honestly!)

We find hope in this encounter with God.  You don’t even have to sing. Just lift your heart to Him and tell Him you love Him. And believe me, your heart will be singing.



No comments:

Post a Comment