January 11, 2012

What it Takes to Breathe


Most of the time, I see things for what they really are. But being the emotional person that I am, sometimes my vision gets clouded and I can’t see my way out of my troubles. I can get so lost in emotion that my common sense is rejected by my heart which only hears the unending loop of misery I’ve made for myself. Instead of making any forward progress at all, I am floundering.

This happened to me last week, when for no reason at all I found myself feeling lost with no direction in my thinking or my actions. I even wrote to a dear friend asking for prayers because I felt so out of sorts. I couldn’t grasp the source of my discontent. I felt like a fish on a pier, flopping and gasping for air when just the day before I had been getting along swimmingly.

My sweet friend prayed, and I studied and read until I found what I needed to hear. I was holding all of my troubles close to my heart, not realizing that I needed to lay them at Jesus’ feet. The Lord tells to take his yoke, that his burden is light. And we are to surrender our weaknesses to him. 

I don’t know if it was because of taking the week off of church or a lack of structured Bible time in my days, but this particular day felt scary. I didn’t feel the confidence that normally carries me. I didn’t feel the strength of my faith guiding me. I was that fish floundering on the pier within sight of what would save me, but without a plan to get me back into the water.

So I prayed. I took my worries and my problems and I laid them at the feet of my Savior. And I realized I need this process of mentally letting go of my concerns, even if it needs to be repeated every day, to free my mind of the burden of carrying my inward pain. It was so freeing to let go of problems I couldn’t solve and trust that the Lord would help me.  A peace washed over me and my spirits lifted, and I thanked my sweet friend for praying for me and helping me find my direction. I learned a little bit more about myself that day, and what it takes to get a breath of fresh air.

So often in life, we struggle needlessly, when the solution to our problems is as near as our heart. Give it all to God, let Him wrestle with your inner demons. Release control to the One who can truly free you. Humble yourself before the Lord and give your concerns to Him. Your burden will be lifted if you truly believe God will take care of you.


"Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  Matthew 11:28-29







2 comments:

  1. Beautiful reassurance, especially for me today. I'll spare you the details, but know I'm encouraged by your words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Leslie. I am thankful you found encouragement here. May I pray for you? I am lifting you up for the trials you are going through. God knows, and He is there with you.

      Delete