November 28, 2011

Looking for God in the Unknown



Recently I made a decision to change the path of my life. These kinds of choices always require much thought and deliberation. Through prayer I felt God was encouraging me to take a leap of faith into the unknown.



Change can be a scary thing. Staying with what is familiar is the comfortable way to go. Making the decision for change involves contemplation, and during the waiting we find this transition to be a time of trust.

 
I found myself ready to jump into the unknown, with only faith to hold me up.

I felt the imagery of standing on a precipice, with all of my tomorrows laid out before me on the other side of the canyon. My heart yearned for a glimpse of what lay beyond; a reassurance of the path I chose.

But my view was obscured by the low clouds covering the horizon. I could not see my future, or even the path I was to follow. The sun shone brightly on the ledge on which I stood, and in my heart I knew that I needed just to trust in God. I had to realize that the God of my days was there in my tomorrows, and that His plan for me was good.

I would leap off the edge, and I would soar, knowing I could trust in the One who knows my future. He would not let me fall.

It is exciting to know that God is in the unknowable future. It is reassuring to know that the God of our yesterdays will also be in our tomorrows, and that God is always the same.

Trust is an assuredness in something that is intangible. Believing that God is there for all of our days allows us to live in the promise that His unfailing love will always be there for us.

We can’t know our future, and truthfully it isn’t for us to know. We have to live it and learn as we go. But we can confidently go forward assured that we can follow the lead of the One who already knows all of our tomorrows. We can leap into the unknown, and trust that we will spread our wings and soar. 


“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”  Jeremiah 29:11 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment