April 12, 2020

New Life - Waiting for Renewal

I shared my own resurrection story on my blog some time ago. In reflecting on that time during this waiting, this three days of waiting for Jesus to rise from the tomb, I think I would like to add some thoughts to my story, a few years later.

I have known many friends, sadly, who have lost someone very close to them; a spouse, a child, a brother. For them there is no resurrection here on earth, and we are left with a sense of loss. In my belief, they are truly in a better place, if better means no suffering and no pain.

But there is such beauty to behold on this earth that I don’t want to leave yet! Sometimes it may seem as though you really have to search for it, but you will always find beauty if you look around you.


As warmth very slowly returns to the earth here in the upper Midwest, new life begins to emerge. We are rewarded for those late Autumn bulb plantings with a bright show of color amongst newly sprouted foliage.

I step outside barefoot, far before many people probably would, to begin to feel the earth’s energy through the souls of my feet as the ice melts away and the ground begins to soften. I close my eyes to the warmth of the sun on my face, and hear the birds singing their Springtime songs, after too many months of silence.


We had one day with 70˚ temps, and that was enough for my lilac bush to begin to break open its buds and for my magnolia flowers to begin to burst forth from their fuzzy wintering cover. I love to let the petals touch my face, feeling their smoothness. Soon they will unfurl into surprisingly durable multi-petaled flowers that somehow endure surprisingly strong Spring storms. 





About the same time, the Red Maple begins to put on its own show. I never quite realized the patriotic theme of it, but we do have red, white and blue, with this bright, blue sky overhead.






We wait for the renewal. We know life will return. 

And with the same certainly I know we will return to some place that is very different from the beauty of this earth. Surely there is beauty beyond compare in Heaven, or whatever is your belief after we pass from this earth. There is such complexity to our spiritual being; it would be hard to imagine that this earthly existence is all there is. I do believe our spirit continues. Into what realm, I do not know for certain. For now, all we have is our time here on the earth. We need to spend it for all it's worth. 

So live. Learn. Grow. Breathe in the air. Celebrate this one life that we have. Celebrate the life well lived. Know that from wherever our loved ones are, somehow we are still connected. Just as we are all connected on this earth, in ways we don’t even understand. But we know this to be true. In these times, no one can deny that.

Blessed Easter Day to all who celebrate the birth of our Risen Christ. Pray for peace and for new life to come to us all once we break through this wall of oppression and into a new world, where awareness replaces fear, and being conscientious and mindful sets a standard for social interaction.


Be well, my friends. Take care and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment